Insurance at the Cresta

The Club recommends that SL riders arrange their own insurance before coming to St Moritz. It is important to check whether the Cresta Run is covered, as some policies specifically exclude tobogganing or skeleton riding.

Riders may purchase insurance at the Clubhouse. It is made available through the Club for the benefit of those who have arrived at the Cresta without proper insurance, and who do not wish to delay riding while they investigate alternatives. The Club receives a commission from the insurers for the work involved, but the Club does not act for individuals taking out the insurance, and owes no duty to such individuals. The Club gives no assurances, and makes no representations, as to the merits of the Policy, and has no responsibility to a rider in respect of any uninsured or unpaid claim. In particular it should be noted:

It is Accident, not Travel, insurance. It will only cover the Cresta Run, Bobsleigh and Skeleton. It will not cover any other winter sport (e.g. skiing, snowboarding, ice-skating, langlauf, etc., or even falling in the street).

  • It is only available for those aged 16-69. (Those aged 65-69 must pay a double premium)
  • All EU citizens should carry an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).
  • In the event of a possible claim, riders must contact the specialist assistance providers prior to incurring costs.
  • There are limits both in the period of time allowed for, and the expense of, follow-up treatment once a rider has returned home.
  • Standard conditions also apply. (e.g. pre-existing conditions not advised, influence of drugs/alcohol voiding cover, etc)
  • The insured rider remains directly liable for any bills which are not paid by the insurers.

To arrange insurance at the Clubhouse, see one of the staff when registering.

Do I need an EHIC Card?

All EU Nationals should carry an EHIC card. The card is extremely easy to apply for on-line. The European Commission website gives links to all the appropriate EU member states’ sites, including the United Kingdom. The card is not a substitute for travel/accident insurance. It will not cover private medical care, repatriation, helicopter/mountain rescue, theft or loss, to give some examples, but should be used in conjunction with appropriate insurance.